Skip to main content

Blocklist-Update.sh

Blocklist-Update.sh is a script that I wrote to manage blocklists from bluetack etc to be used in conjunction with Transmission torrent downloader in Linux/MacOS. The script can be taylored to work with Qbittorrent as well, but the placement of the blocklists means you'd have to redirect the blocklist to go somewhere locally manageable as Transmission uses its own blocklist directory in .config. I believe there are about 10 lists there now. It works well for my needs. It can be ran weekly using crontab in standard user profile.  To download:  blocklist-update.sh To download the others:  Github

QUPZILLA: MY THOUGHTS ON THE BROWSER

Qupzilla, a browser started and maintained by one man, David Rosca(nowrep), is a C++ Qt toolkit based browser for Linux, Mac, and Windows. This browser is very light and fast. It loads in mere seconds on my machine and it is considered low-end. Qupzilla started as a learning project, a project to show David that he could create a stable, usable browser for himself. The browser was first released in 2010 and written in Python, but after a few versions, it was rewritten in C++ to better adhere to web standards and to take advantage of Microsoft C++ compiler. Qupzilla has all the features you’d expect in a modern browser, it has tabs, history, bookmarks, even a built in, on by default, adblocker. The adblocker defaults to only using the Easy List, but more can be added. Qupzilla is at 2.2.2 version number with QT 5.10 of the QtWebEngine, on most systems, mine currently still uses 5.9.3 in Manjaro.

Qupzilla is perfect for notebooks with a feasible amount of memory and weaker cpu and graphics. It also works on older desktops. Unfortunately, in my tests, the memory footprint appears rather high for the browser, but I chalk that up to the web engine mostly. I try to remember that this is a lighter version of a Qt browser that tries to mimick Chromium on the engine in many ways. Be that as it may, the browser itself still adheres to its own code. It is still its own browsing solution and a very good one. Qupzilla integrates nicely with most desktops, it has a few built in themes written by the creator himself, but otherwise, the default looks good here in Manjaro xfce. The Gentoo-based Linux distribution Redcore features Qupzilla as a default browser choice.

Qupzilla used to use Qtwebkit to render pages, during this time it worked well with most sites, however, not all of them. It did have issues with some youtube standards at the time at least during the 1.6 -2.0 series. Now the browser has come of age and nearly all sites work with it. It seems to register as chrome for me, at least on my blogger account stats. I chalk that up to the user agent but also to the engine, it was modeled somewhat after Blink. I mentioned it being modeled after Blink, but remember that his is not a Blink browser, this is a QT based browser and it has no phone-homes to Google whatsoever. It does not steal your data, nor does it send it to some server somewhere in bumscrew Ohio. It is maintained and developed by David and anyone volunteering to help, it is a community project basically.

Qupzilla has a place in all platforms, I mentioned three, but it also runs on alternative operating systems as well. Among these is Haiku. Haiku is a dream OS to me, it’s still an alpha build project, but it is a highly open sourced project. It uses altertantives, I believe an older version of Firefox kinda works in it now, but mostly open sourced alternatives are used. Among them Qupzilla has a place as it was using Qtwebkit, it was one of the webkit based offers. It is even offered as a portable browser in Windows systems.

To get Qupzilla, you can go to the Download page of its home website:
but most Linux based distros have it in their repositories. However, these versions may not always be up to date. To get the most up to date version, you may have to revert to the github page to find other means. The project was renamed to Falkon ahead of the release of version 3.0 which is part of KDE now. Overall, this is a stable, user-friendly and beautiful release. It is a powerfult browser for such a small one. I would recommend this to anyone with weak computers, old computers, slow computers, or otherwise, who are tired of Google dominating the browser market. It’s just as fast as Google if not faster. Keep in mind, there are still some bugs, but these are quickly and steadily becoming a thing of the past for Qupzilla. If you ever need help or feel that you’ve found one of these bugs, just let David know on his github page:

Update: Just a couple of screenshots of the browser's interface in action. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOSCRIPT CONFIGURATION FOR PALE MOON SPECIFICALLY

I wrote an article before about making Pale Moon more private. I covered a few of the settings and back end changes I make each time I install it. I mentioned Noscript, but I didn’t give any details about how I set it up. First though, you have to get the version already marked for your version of “Firefox” or in this case, Pale Moon. If you went to https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/noscript/ you would probably find the Pale Moon addons page devoted to the newest possible Noscript being marked specifically for Pale Moon. Other versions may work, but these are hybrid addons and the closer we get to Noscript 10, the less I trust it to work with Pale Moon specifically. I just opt to stick with 5.0.6. There have been people asking about what happens when Maone, the developer stops supporting the hybrid versions of Noscript, “Will it work with Pale Moon?” Why yes it will. Noscript blocks scripts, that’s its main function and it will do that as long as Java script exists on a page.

SSD PARTITION ALIGNMENT

I was searching for more information regarding SSDs last night as that is what I now use, I found an interesting little tip that most users will never have to worry about, but people using Arch Linux, Manjaro or Windows that was cloned from another drive may want to consider checking this. The Partition manager within Linux normally takes good care to ensure that you have some free space to be used by the SSD in the event that a cell becomes worn out or corrupted. Also, Linux generally ensures that a proper amount of unallocated drive space is set aside preceeding the partition. However, on my own image of Manjaro, I discovered that this was not the case. The partition was “out of alignment”. To fix this situation, I found an article on  Lifehacker that went into instructional detail about how to solve this from a live environment or an image of Gparted . Gparted is a separate live environment of Linux that is based on Debian and uses Gparted as the main tool to manage par

PALE MOON PRIVACY SETUP

I did a review of Pale Moon back when 27.6.2 came out in linux. I had mostly great things to say about the browser then and my feelings towards it have not changed. Pale Moon is a very useful tool for scowering the net. It has privacy at its core with a few implementations made by Moonchild, the lead developer, built in. I also mentioned the point that Pale Moon has a canvas poisoning feature in the backend, however, I wasn’t very clear about how to turn it on. I thought in this tutorial, I’d show with a series of screen shots, some of the useful settings and preferences that I change to make Pale Moon a bit more private. I also thought I’d take this time to rant a little more about some of the not so savory issues with Firefox which have recently come under scrutiny by various people in the the Linux world. First order of business, if you haven’t heard, Mozilla recently added an extension into their browser which gave people ads. That’s right, they were ads for a specific t