Skip to main content

Blocklist-Update.sh

Blocklist-Update.sh is a script that I wrote to manage blocklists from bluetack etc to be used in conjunction with Transmission torrent downloader in Linux/MacOS. The script can be taylored to work with Qbittorrent as well, but the placement of the blocklists means you'd have to redirect the blocklist to go somewhere locally manageable as Transmission uses its own blocklist directory in .config. I believe there are about 10 lists there now. It works well for my needs. It can be ran weekly using crontab in standard user profile.  To download:  blocklist-update.sh To download the others:  Github

UBUNTU 17.10 AND LOOKING AHEAD…



Now that everything ubuntu has finally reached a point where 17.10 is as good as stable, It’s time to see what is new, what packages got upgraded and how many desktop improvements have been made. I usually don’t spend a long time testing distros, partly because I only have a low end device at the moment and don’t typically run Vboxes on it. However, with Ubuntu in the past, I usually find issues within a couple of hours of running, usually because I knitpick, but also because in the past, it seems that from 14.04 to 16.04 something was missing. I’m looking forward to testing 17.10 and editing in my results here. I normally side with Arch-based distros personally. Ubuntu Mate is a good place to start. Ubuntu Mate seems stable when other instances seem less than pleasant to work with. Linux Mint is a close second in this regard, as it takes the best of Ubuntu and Mate and puts its own stability into it. Linux Mint adds some nifty graphical skins to features that Ubuntu actually still has use of the terminal for. With the switch to Wayland as default, I’m curious to see how well it perform son my system which usually requires installation of the proprietary Nvidia driver on most distros. I’ll start with Ubuntu Mate Artful Aardvark. The wallpaper was very bright and green and Many applications I tested in the distro were not really working well, but this was mainly because I did so in a live environment and not everything was up to date as of yet. Epiphany-browser was of course, the latest version. Redshift worked flawlessly, Libreoffice is at 5.4.2.1, and Chromium-browser had issues right off the bat, but that again may have a lot to do with running it on a live system. Screenshots are coming. Pantheon works similarly to Cupertino in the last version, what had me sold was Mutiny. Mutiny is a desktop style that tries to mimick Ubuntu with Unity. As with all Ubuntu-Mate distro versions, a plethora of apps were already installed to get you going. The RAM usage was on par with xfce at start from a cold boot, but after running a few apps like firefox etc it went up to over 500 MB according to free -h command. The themes new set of themes are same as the old with the exception of the Dark Ambient theme. The default theme is Ambient which is bright and vibrant. Ambient Dark is definitely easier on the eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOSCRIPT CONFIGURATION FOR PALE MOON SPECIFICALLY

I wrote an article before about making Pale Moon more private. I covered a few of the settings and back end changes I make each time I install it. I mentioned Noscript, but I didn’t give any details about how I set it up. First though, you have to get the version already marked for your version of “Firefox” or in this case, Pale Moon. If you went to https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/noscript/ you would probably find the Pale Moon addons page devoted to the newest possible Noscript being marked specifically for Pale Moon. Other versions may work, but these are hybrid addons and the closer we get to Noscript 10, the less I trust it to work with Pale Moon specifically. I just opt to stick with 5.0.6. There have been people asking about what happens when Maone, the developer stops supporting the hybrid versions of Noscript, “Will it work with Pale Moon?” Why yes it will. Noscript blocks scripts, that’s its main function and it will do that as long as Java script exists on a page.

SSD PARTITION ALIGNMENT

I was searching for more information regarding SSDs last night as that is what I now use, I found an interesting little tip that most users will never have to worry about, but people using Arch Linux, Manjaro or Windows that was cloned from another drive may want to consider checking this. The Partition manager within Linux normally takes good care to ensure that you have some free space to be used by the SSD in the event that a cell becomes worn out or corrupted. Also, Linux generally ensures that a proper amount of unallocated drive space is set aside preceeding the partition. However, on my own image of Manjaro, I discovered that this was not the case. The partition was “out of alignment”. To fix this situation, I found an article on  Lifehacker that went into instructional detail about how to solve this from a live environment or an image of Gparted . Gparted is a separate live environment of Linux that is based on Debian and uses Gparted as the main tool to manage par

PALE MOON PRIVACY SETUP

I did a review of Pale Moon back when 27.6.2 came out in linux. I had mostly great things to say about the browser then and my feelings towards it have not changed. Pale Moon is a very useful tool for scowering the net. It has privacy at its core with a few implementations made by Moonchild, the lead developer, built in. I also mentioned the point that Pale Moon has a canvas poisoning feature in the backend, however, I wasn’t very clear about how to turn it on. I thought in this tutorial, I’d show with a series of screen shots, some of the useful settings and preferences that I change to make Pale Moon a bit more private. I also thought I’d take this time to rant a little more about some of the not so savory issues with Firefox which have recently come under scrutiny by various people in the the Linux world. First order of business, if you haven’t heard, Mozilla recently added an extension into their browser which gave people ads. That’s right, they were ads for a specific t